Treat Your Body and Mind to a Massage
Refresh Yoga Center also offers a full array of massage services, including deep-tissue, reflexology, aromatherapy massage and much more. This is the perfect way to end your yoga class with us before you head out to enjoy the beautiful surroundings of King Street. Read more about all of our relaxing and therapeutic massage services and make a massage appointment with our Alexandria team today.
Swedish massage is the most commonly offered and best-known type of massage. It was developed by a Swedish physiologist, Henri Peter Ling in 1812. It uses a firm but gentle pressure to improve the circulation, ease muscle aches and tension, improve flexibility and encourage relaxation
Swedish massage employs five different movements:
• long, gliding strokes or effleurage
• kneading of individual muscles or petrissage
Swedish massage is the foundation for other types of Western massage including deep tissue and aromatherapy.
DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE
Deep tissue massage is a type of massage aimed at the deeper tissue structures of the muscle and fascia, also called connective tissue. Deep tissue massage uses many of the same movements and techniques as Swedish massage, but the pressure will generally be more intense with intent to create thixotropy within the connective tissue. As a rule, deep tissue should not cause muscle bracing or for the client to have to catch her breath, as that would be physiologically counterproductive; however, tender areas of tension or injury may arise during the massage. Communication between therapist and client is essential.
MYOFASCIAL TRIGGER POINT THERAPY
A trigger point is a hyperirritable spot that is painful. It is called a trigger point because it “triggers” a painful response. But a trigger point is more than a tender nodule. It affects not only the muscle where the trigger point is located, but also causes “referred pain” in tissues supplied by nerves. Trigger points are located in taut bands of muscles fibers. The therapist will locate and deactivate them using 3-phase ischemic compression.
Chair massage counters the circulatory problems inherent with office work—and provides an appreciated break for employees. Sitting in a massage chair opens up the back muscles, relieves strain on the neck and provides a gentle respite for eyes usually glued to a computer monitor. Even 20 minutes of massage to the neck, back, arms and hands can increase circulation, returning energy levels and helping keep the body injury free.
Pregnancy massage uses the comfortable, secure side-laying position to avoid undue pressure on a growing abdomen and the lower back. Mothers are completely supported by pillows, keeping top hip, knee and ankle on the same level to avoid pulling on the sacroiliac joint and to maximize blood and lymph circulation. You’ll receive a combination of the following methods:
- Calming Swedish massage strokes for deep muscle relaxation, tension release and increased circulation
- Gentle range-of-motion and stretching movements to relieve pressure through neck, shoulders, rib cage, lower back, and hips, and to promote greater strength flexibility band balance
- Deep tissue work in the hip and gluteal area to help alleviate chronic lower back and hip pain
- Abdominal massage for round ligament pain, to support digestion, increased circulation to the placenta and baby. Increase awareness of the baby. The baby will feel and benefit from the massage.
- Lymph drainage strokes to reduce pregnancy-induced edema